Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Reflection on America


This morning I posted some of my thoughts on the inconceivable amount of money the U.S continues to spend in Iraq, while we are facing what arguably could be a recession back home. Throughout today, I returned to the Web site and the continually increasing Iraq budget. I’m not sure exactly why I found myself regularly checking the ongoing count, as each time the same HOW THE FUCK ARE WE LETTING THIS HAPPEN? thought popped into my head. Maybe I just hoped that some miracle would make it stop, or I would somehow realize it was all a result of my slightly delusional mind after studying all night.
Of course neither of these things have happened and at this moment I’m still finding it hard not to glance at the rapidly growing number in the right corner of my computer screen. Now I could just remove it from my desktop, in hopes of returning to the cluelessness of day to day life, but its too late, it already impacted me. I wonder how many other Americans would experience a similar fate, if they too, were exposed to its simple clarity? Does it even make a difference if ten, or twenty, or even thirty thousand people speak up, or are we already in too deep? The fact that even though I find it appalling, I still remain seated, unable to construct any feasible form of action against it, is kind of scary to me. It is as if I’ve become immune to the US’s fraudulence in foreign affairs and I don’t believe I’m the only one.
Why is it that California teachers and the thousands of other American’s that have lost jobs due to budget cuts, are not joined together? Not to mention the record number of families who have had to foreclose their homes and businesses as a result of a struggling economy. To tell you the truth, I can’t think of a single person who has not felt in some way the negative effects of the backlash of the war in Iraq and yet, I don’t see them knocking at the Presidents door. Maybe they think its too late, we’ll just wait for a new President to figure it out, or maybe they are just too consumed with trying to fix their own problems as a result of His actions. Either way, I can’t say I’m PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN at this time, which is not something I believe I should have to feel as a member of this country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched a documentary about this at the sundance film festival this year called I.O.U.S.A.- I would definitely recommend you watch it when it is released. It definitely opened my eyes about the national debt- and made me want to move to Canada, fast. one of the major problems going on is that the number is so massively inconceivable that it doesn't always spark the outrage it should because it is so far beyond our understanding.